How Do We Know That Catholicism Is The World’s Largest Cult And Not The “One True Church”?
People who are familiar with how various Christian-Like cults (such as Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons) operate will see that the Catholic Church operates in a similar fashion. And as a matter of fact, the Catholic Church is sometimes referred to as “The Cult of Mary“.
List Of Catholic Church Cult-like Characteristics
- They have an elite class of members who lead the rest and who are claimed to never be wrong in their doctrine or practices.
- Only the leaders are allowed to interpret the Bible for the “underdogs” (the non-clergy).
- Their leaders have their own book(s) of doctrine – such as the Catholic catechism – which is their own “private interpretation” of the Bible.
- Their leaders say there is no salvation outside of THEIR church or organization, rather than no salvation outside of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Their leaders claim theirs is the “one true Church” and that all other churches are false or inferior to theirs.
- Their leaders claim that their church alone can trace its roots back to the 1st century.
- They typically have a central leader here on earth who is above all other members in rank.
- They typically have a central headquarters here on earth such as the Vatican (Catholics), the Watchtower Headquarters, Brooklyn, NY (Jehovahs Witnesses) and the Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah (Mormons).
- They have an elaborate “works-based” system of salvation unique to their particular cult.
- Often their religious practices have origins in pagan religions, not Christianity.
- Many of their religious teachings have origins in the writings of their so-called church fathers or their cult’s prophets, not in the Bible.
- Instead of being preoccupied with Jesus, they are preoccupied with mere mortals, be it dead saints or their popes or their cult’s leaders or founders.
Catholicism’s Book Of Private Interpretations
In Catholicism, as with many similar cults, there are writings or books that act as the final authority and final interpretation of the Bible for their followers. The CCC (Catechism of the Catholic Church) is a 900 page book, in which are the only acceptable interpretations of scripture allowed by the Catholic Church. They are interpretations that are used to validate and support the false teachings and practices of Catholicism.
The Biggest Indicator That Catholicism Is Not True Christianity But Rather A Cult
If your church has a false gospel of works then you are in a false church. The true gospel is salvation by grace alone through faith alone in the Lord Jesus Christ and His merits alone!
Here are just a few of the Bible verses pointing out that salvation is NOT OF WORKS:
“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;” Titus 3:5
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
“For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.” Romans 10:3
When presented with the above verses about salvation not being of the works of man, Catholics will consistently quote James 2:20 (faith without works is dead) to refute the gospel of salvation by faith alone. However, these Catholics do NOT realize that James was not saying what they think he was saying. What is meant by “faith without works is dead” is that TRUE faith produces God-glorifying works as the FRUIT of that true faith (and the fruit of true salvation), and NOT as the CAUSE of that faith (nor the cause of salvation).
Another Major Sign That Catholicism Is A Cult And Not The True Church
There are so many doctrines and practices and rituals in Catholicism that are nowhere mentioned in the New Testament. The Catholic Church points to other sources for those inventions and they expect their followers and others to just trust those Catholic sources, even though it is more than obvious that the Catholic Church has every reason to invent and falsify sources of their dogma. Those reasons include protecting their reputation, hiding the truth, keeping members from leaving, etc.
Can We Really Trust Rome’s Version Of Church History?
QUESTION: Why is the headquarters for the Catholic Church in Rome?
ANSWER: Because that’s where their pagan roots are.
Something to think about!
Rather than being the one true Church started by Jesus Christ in 33AD, Catholicism actually evolved out of a merging of pagan religions and bits and pieces of Christianity. This merging began in the year 313AD when Roman emperor Constantine issued his Edict of Milan, granting tolerance to Christians within the Roman Empire.
But What About Catholicism’s Unbroken Line of Popes?
An “Unbroken” Line Of Popes?
The Catholic Church simply renamed bishops as “popes” to justify their wild claim to be the one true Church. And MILLIONS of sincere Catholics believed every lie they were told. Catholic popes have ranked among the most vile, evil, corrupt, unholy, ungodly, disgusting, morally bankrupt men who ever walked the face of this earth… totally unqualified to represent Jesus Christ in ANY WAY whatsoever!
The New Testament mentions church elders in various cities but gives no mention of one supreme bishop over all other elders. And no one could be a successor to an apostle if they had not been an eyewitness to the Lord Jesus Christ. Also, the extreme moral corruption of many of Rome’s popes clearly indicates that those men had not been regenerated by the Holy Spirit. Their conduct in no way exemplified “new creatures in Christ”.
It matters not how big or how long lived a particular so-called “Christian” organization is. If they preach and teach a false gospel, which is always a man-centered works plan of salvation, then they are cult, a false church. — RM Kane